Balance and Fall Issues
DR. PAUL QUARNERI, D.C., D.A.C.N.B.
BOARD CERTIFIED CHIROPRACTIC NEUROLOGIST IN SAN MATEO, CA
Explore All Services
Fall prevention is one of the cornerstones of our practice. As people continue to age and suffer from the effects of previous injuries or declining cardiovascular health such as diabetes, they often experience a decrease in their balance, stability, and posture placing them at a greater risk of fall. Common injuries associated with a fall are fractures, traumatic brain injuries, and in some cases even death.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- One in four Americans aged 65+ falls each year.
- Every 11 seconds, an older adult is treated in the emergency room for a fall; every19 minutes, an older adult will die from a fall.
- Falls are the leading cause of fatal injury and are the most common cause of nonfatal trauma-related hospital admissions among older adults.
- Falls result in more than 2.8 million injuries treated in the emergency room departments annually, including over 800,000 hospitalizations and more than 27,000 deaths.
- In 2015, the total cost of fall injuries was $50 billion. Medicare and Medicaid shouldered 75% of these costs.
The brain integrates signals from the inner ear (Vestibular), eyes (Visual), and receptors from muscles and joints (Proprioceptive) to determine the body’s position in space. Compromises in any of these three systems can lead to a significant loss in balance and put a patient at a greater risk of injuries due to a fall. Protocols which integrate eye movement exercises, balance based activities and vestibular rehabilitation can reintegrate and improve how well these three systems function. The result of neuro rehabilitative therapies are an improvement in a patient’s balance and stability, better postural integrity and prevention of any future falls they may have otherwise experienced.
Contact us, today, to schedule an appointment and learn how we can assist you live fall free.